Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Furnishing the Breakfast Nook



I thought I would share a picture of our breakfast nook. I've set it up to be a cozy little spot for tea. With only two of us here most of the time, it seems redundant to get another table for this area. It couldn't just sit vacant, though, that looked horrible!


I spiffed up a wicker settee that we've had for 15 years, and was actually outside at our last house with paint chipping and bottom sagging. I reinforced the bottom with rope and tightened up where it was sagging. I found a wicker chair at a yard sale for $10 and painted both pieces with tan spray paint so they would match. I repurposed valances that I made 12 years ago, and have had a different look in each of our last 3 homes. The rug was in our bedroom before, as were the pillow shams and quilt, so I like the way they mix and match with each other. However, the quilt has not survived Kissy Belle's scratching on it, so it needed replacing on our bed. I folded all the worn areas to the inside, and it works perfect as a cushion, because of its padding. There is an iron piece on top of the family photos that matches the one in the last post (these two walls are visible on opposite sides of the living room). Then I made curtain panels from $6 worth of fabric on clearance from Walmart. I also spray painted the little magazine rack black (it had a dated ivory/gold finish on it) to tie it in with the other black accents.


It definitely looks better than it did bare, and only $35 total spent on chair, spray paint, curtains, and iron piece.

7 comments:

Jodi said...

Ah ~ I knew roses would get a starring role sooner or later. ;o) It looks beautiful, Sweetie. You've always had that knack for (what I call) the "cottage" look.

Bebe said...

Hi Pam,

I made that new link and here you are! I must have been having a dippy day when I was typing ~ I have no idea why I typed in "country" instead of "china". I'm sorry about that :)

Your breakfast nook is so romantic and cozy! The wicker looked great! You are very talented and creative to be able to take something and totally redo/fix it up and make it beautiful!

(((HUGS))),
Bebe :)

Mimi said...

I commented before but I guess it skipped a beat and got lost in the shuffle...
I just mentioned that molly really says that the settee is very comfortable too!!
she laid there most of the time while we were visiting with you this week end...

MeMeMe said...

Great job Pam. I found you by the way at Cindy's Romantic Home.

Someday, I will gather up the courage to create things, paint things, improve things, to add to my home.

I will be visiting you more often.

Tara said...

Oooh! Wouldn't I love to have breakfast right here! You did a wonderful job! Glad I found your blog!
:0)
Tara

Rose of Sharon said...

That looks so pretty! You did an excellent job! I love all the different colors and patterns. It is very eclectic! I love that you did so much yourself and did it all on a budget!

Great job!!!

:) Sharon

Liz Harrell said...

How nice! I love that seating area, you'll probably use it so much more than a table and chairs. Looks wonderful!