I have been reading through the account of the Passion Week in the different gospels this week. This morning in Luke 22:47-62 a different thought came to mind.
Peter was a man of action, comfortable in a boat fishing, or protecting Jesus with his sword at the ready (v. 49 & 50). We know from the other gospels that it was indeed Peter that cut off Malchus' ear. If Jesus had okayed fighting, Peter would have fought to the death to save his master and friend.
However, Jesus told them to put away their swords, and he went willingly with the mob. Poor Peter was totally out of his element. His thoughts probably went something like, "Allow me to fight and I'm there for you Lord! Ask me to be still and watch, and I'm suddenly terrified."
What would have happened if Peter had NOT denied knowing Jesus? Would he have been taken by the angry mob as well? Probably. Would they have beaten him? Maybe. Would Jesus have allowed him to be killed as well? No. That was NOT God's plan for Peter, that was only God's plan for Jesus. If Peter had admitted that he knew Jesus, he might have suffered some of the pain and humiliation, but he would not have been killed. One of his main purposes in life was to help spread the news and establish the early church. He would have been protected from death. And if he had the benefit of 2000 years of hindsight, he probably would have realized that at the time.
It occurred to me, that I am often like Peter, in this regard. "Give me something to do Lord, show me your plan! Give me a path of action, and I'm there for you!"
However, God has been very clearly telling me since we moved here, "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10). Whenever I start feeling anxious about what's next, He sends the message again. Sometimes with a sense of humor, like the other day when I entered a Christian bookstore, and promptly saw at least 7 or 8 pieces of beautiful wall art with this verse splashed across them. I said, "Okay Lord, I hear you," and enjoyed the joke with him.
Then today, I felt this message again. It's not always about the action, sometimes it's about the trusting, and about being faithful even in the stillness! Thank you, Lord, for loving me always, even when I have a hard time being still. Amen.
Lots of Love, Pam
Peter was a man of action, comfortable in a boat fishing, or protecting Jesus with his sword at the ready (v. 49 & 50). We know from the other gospels that it was indeed Peter that cut off Malchus' ear. If Jesus had okayed fighting, Peter would have fought to the death to save his master and friend.
However, Jesus told them to put away their swords, and he went willingly with the mob. Poor Peter was totally out of his element. His thoughts probably went something like, "Allow me to fight and I'm there for you Lord! Ask me to be still and watch, and I'm suddenly terrified."
What would have happened if Peter had NOT denied knowing Jesus? Would he have been taken by the angry mob as well? Probably. Would they have beaten him? Maybe. Would Jesus have allowed him to be killed as well? No. That was NOT God's plan for Peter, that was only God's plan for Jesus. If Peter had admitted that he knew Jesus, he might have suffered some of the pain and humiliation, but he would not have been killed. One of his main purposes in life was to help spread the news and establish the early church. He would have been protected from death. And if he had the benefit of 2000 years of hindsight, he probably would have realized that at the time.
It occurred to me, that I am often like Peter, in this regard. "Give me something to do Lord, show me your plan! Give me a path of action, and I'm there for you!"
However, God has been very clearly telling me since we moved here, "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10). Whenever I start feeling anxious about what's next, He sends the message again. Sometimes with a sense of humor, like the other day when I entered a Christian bookstore, and promptly saw at least 7 or 8 pieces of beautiful wall art with this verse splashed across them. I said, "Okay Lord, I hear you," and enjoyed the joke with him.
Then today, I felt this message again. It's not always about the action, sometimes it's about the trusting, and about being faithful even in the stillness! Thank you, Lord, for loving me always, even when I have a hard time being still. Amen.
Lots of Love, Pam

5 comments:
Pam,
this was a beautiful insight into Peter's personality...
I am praying for you as you settle into your new life...
Have a wonderful Resurrection Day...
Enjoy singing in the Choir through all of the services...(If you hear the Easter Sermon 4 times..I'll be willing to bet that you will glean something different from each one)
Will either of the Kids be home for Easter?
I have you in my prayers and in my heart every hour of every day...
Mom
Hi Pam:
I, too, enjoy your thoughts. You are quite a writer in addition to all of your other creative blessings.
My sisters and I will be in St. Augustine next Friday, March 28 (hopefully arriving by noon). I don't know where we will have lunch on Saturday, but would love to see you. If you think you could meet us, I can call you on Friday or Sat morning. In any event, it would be great to visit with you.
I have a new post on my aunt's visit. I've been so busy that blogging has taken a back seat.
Let me know about next weekend and I am sorry to the late notice.
Much love and Happy Easter,
Patty
This was so good...after being sick off and on since November and then today my daughter, her family (Son in law, two young sons) moved to the East coast. We are very close to her and her family VERY.....and my cry is WHAT Lord what do you want me to do. This post was timely.
Happy Easter,
Deby
HE is Risen HE is RISEN INDEED.
Dear Pam, thank you for your reflection. Ever since I moved to the U.S. my Holy Weeks have been different, less holy because I lost the structure i once had in the Philippines - we had the days off. Now that i'm here, I have my son to care for and the housework, and the temptation of blogworld. It's Saturday night and I don't feel ready for Easter. I feel spent! :( It's my fault, I know. I need to keep still.
Thank you.
Jeannie
What a good word...thank you!
Post a Comment